Perception is Reality
1. Use Smoke and mirrors: Post a “Beware of Dog” sign in conspicuous places as well as signs that the home is protected by a security system. It doesn’t matter if you have a dog or security system, the criminal doesn’t know this.
2. Create a perimeter of motion detecting lights. You can stock up on these low cost yet highly effective lights on sites such as Amazon.
3. If you have an expensive item you just opened, for example a new HD TV , be sure to conceal the packaging in your trash. Many burglars target houses by profiling packaging in a persons trash.
4. Refrain from posting on social media that you and the entire family are on a long vacation. This screams “Rob Me Please.” When on Vacation you should leave an interior light on so it appears occupied and have a trusted friend empty your mail so it doesn’t look like the property has been empty for a while.
Smart Phone App
5. Download a doorbell camera App such as “Smart doorbell.” These Apps allow you to instantly see on your smart phone who is at your door or window. While an App can’t fight off a criminal it can give you advanced notification so you can take action.